Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Book Review and Contest!

Hi everybody! Today I want to give you a review on my very favorite series of all time! I bet you know how many stars these books will be getting from me :) I first found these books when I read the first one for a book club in 2009, and since then I have been undeniably hooked. I couldn't put the first one down, rushed out and read the second one, and then had to wait a whole dang year for the third, but it was so worth it! Each and every installment had me looking like this:


And it felt a lot like this:



What is this amazing series, you ask? Well, I'll tell you. The Hourglass Door Trilogy, by Lisa Mangum. The author has an incredible way of pulling you into the story and making you want to be a part of it. She weaves intricate story lines and problems that manage to blow my time every time I read her work.  The books follow a girl named Abby and her oh-so-intriguing classmate Dante. Let me just say, girls, you will love these books! I also think guys will love them too, but especially girls. The story will take you all sorts of places you have never imagined as time itself is threatened, especially for Abby. I don't want to give anything away by telling you about the second and third books, but here is the synopsis for the first one:

Abby's senior year of high school is textbook perfect: She has a handsome and attentive boyfriend, good friends, good grades, and plans to attend college next year. But when she meets Dante Alexander, a foreign-exchange student from Italy, her life suddenly takes a different turn. He's mysterious, and interesting, and unlike anyone she's ever met before. Abby can't deny the growing attraction she feels for him. Nor can she deny the unusual things that seem to happen when Dante is around. Time behaves differently when they are together, traveling too fast or too slow, or sometimes seeming to stop altogether. When the band Zero Hour performs at the local hangout, Abby realizes that there's something dangerous about the lead singer, Zo, and his band mates, Tony and V. Oddly, the three of them are also from Italy and have a strange relationship to Dante. They also hold a bizarre influence over their audience when performing. And Abby's best friend, Valerie, is caught in their snare. Dante tells Abby the truth of his past: he once worked for Leonardo Da Vinci, helping to design and build a time machine. When Dante was falsely implicated as a traitor to his country, he was sent through the machine more than five hundred years into the future as punishment. As the past and the present collide, Abby learns that she holds a special power over the flow of time itself. She and Dante must stop Zo from opening the time machine's door and endangering everyone's future. More than one life is at stake and Abby's choice could change everything.


I am proud to say that I own each and every one of these books and that they have all been signed by the author! I had the great privilege to meet Lisa Mangum, tell her how much she has inspired me, and also tell her about my own books. It was incredible to say the least, and don't worry, I was highly professional and had my fangirl moment over behind a bookcase ;)

I really hope you get as excited about these books as I do. I hope you feel the thrill that I do every time I read them, and that you get so into them that you yell at people when they try to talk to you. I give you permission. These books are the ones that get me in the sort of situations where someone tries to get my attention for five solid minutes before I even realize they have entered the room. Read them! Do it!

---------

Okay, so I also promised you a contest, so here it is! My author page on Facebook is nearing 300 likes and I would love to get it there in time for the release of my book in the next few weeks! Click here to get the link. Like the page if you haven't already, then share it! On your Facebook, your groups, your pages, your blog, your twitter, anywhere and everywhere you want! Then, let me know how many times you've shared the link! Each share will get you an entry into the contest. I'll randomly pick a winner and that winner will get an advance look at my next book Ontario! I'll email your the entire prologue! What are you waiting for! Get out there and share! Then go get yourself a copy of The Hourglass Door and I'll see you in about one to three days after you've finished the series :)

- Heidi Nicole Bird


No comments:

Post a Comment