Thursday, March 14, 2013

Guest Post from Linda Bowers Bolton!


What Are You Trying To Say

Ok, ok, I know this will freak you out...I know it did me, at first. I signed up on a dating sight.

I know, don't say it. I couldn't help myself. My writer/blogger friend, Aurora Morealist, mentioned it in the interview I did with her last month and I couldn't help myself. I was curious. Could I  really meet someone on that kind of site?

Well, let me just say, perusing the site is very entertaining. I know the site gives instructions on how to pick a good profile picture. We all know these sites are geared for looks first, personality second - if at all. So explain something to me guys...What are you thinking?

I'm flipping through the 200 men the site recommends I may have something in common with. The profile photos are surprising and, to be frank, quite scary in some cases. Guys, come on, in what planetary plane do you think a woman would find you attractive with a mouth full of food? Better yet, the photo where you cut out the ex-wife/girlfriend? Really? I still see her arm around you and her hand is on your shoulder with the hunk of diamond you bought her 15 years ago. Dudes, I am amazed! I know you may not want your friends knowing you're posting on a dating site but the pic in front of the bathroom mirror with your cell phone in your hand...wholly moly, have you no other photos? Could you just get someone to take a photo of you? Say its just 'cuz. Guys, guys (shaking my head in dispair), what are we going to do with you?

I love photos of scenery, but guys, I don't care how unfortunate you think you look, that will not get a woman to talk to you. We're just as afraid of how you look as you think you look. We don't like surprises. Have you noticed you can post more than one photo? That means, save the ones with your kids for those - not the profile. Yes, most women like kids and we know yours are important to you, but you are trying to get us to be attracted to you, not your 10 year old daughter or, for that matter, the small lap dog licking your face.

The photo doesn't have to be professional, just clear with enough light so we can see you, and close up enough we don't need a magnifying glass to see what you look like. Nothing fancy, unless you want to.
It would, also, be nice if you smiled a bit. Looking grumpy or a mug shot doesn't attract dates usually either.

Men, think about the photos of women you like to see. Do you realize we may take 40 photos to find just the right one? Granted, I don't see the profile pics of the women on the dating site, but I do know I tried to pick some of my best shots. I know my girlfriends on Facebook, also, take great pains to post the best photos.

Come on guys, get a clue. If you are looking for someone to spend some time with, attract her the right way...with your best foot forward.

-------

Take 2 is Linda Bolton’s first novel is available on Amazon. She is currently working on her second book to be released summer 2013. When she’s not writing, Linda is a GiGi, playing with her new granddaughter Z, and working full-time. While working on a future projects Linda can be found:







No comments:

Post a Comment