Recently I had the great pleasure to meet and hear some words of wisdom from best-selling author Brandon Mull. I also had the great opportunity of learning from guest author Shannon Hale! To make it even better, I went with a bunch of my co-workers, a.k.a. some of my best friends. Needless to say it was one big night of awesomeness!
|Pizza buffet before the event, om nom nom!|
Much of the night was about the new release of a series that both Mull and Hale are participating in (Spirit Animals), but along the way they gave some great advice, and I couldn't help but think of you guys. I knew I had to share what they said. So, here are the notes I wrote down:
- Observe, then imagine.
- Ask yourself: What is your defining image as a writer?
- Your character needs to want something.
- Have an interesting character who is about to get in an interesting situation.
- Get your character doing something immediately, and get them talking.
- Pay close attention to how your favorite authors build their scenes.
- Buy the current Writers Market book.
- Go to conferences.
I hope you'll really put some thought into these ideas, because they are GREAT! I definitely will be keeping these things in mind as I keep writing, especially as I get ready for and head into NaNoWriMo 2013!
|Waiting for Brandon Mull!|
|Meeting Brandon Mull, booya! I got bonus points for being an author, and he |
declared us "fellow nerds" because I write Fantasy! Saweet!
|The books I bought because I have money now, haha. The Brandon Mull |
book I have read, and his newest one!
|Yep, got them signed.|