Thursday, September 26, 2013

Tips From Some of the Greats

Recently I had the great pleasure to meet and hear some words of wisdom from best-selling author Brandon Mull. I also had the great opportunity of learning from guest author Shannon Hale! To make it even better, I went with a bunch of my co-workers, a.k.a. some of my best friends. Needless to say it was one big night of awesomeness! 
Pizza buffet before the event, om nom nom!

Much of the night was about the new release of a series that both Mull and Hale are participating in (Spirit Animals), but along the way they gave some great advice, and I couldn't help but think of you guys. I knew I had to share what they said. So, here are the notes I wrote down:


Brandon Mull:

  • Observe, then imagine.
  • Ask yourself: What is your defining image as a writer?

Shannon Hale:

  • Your character needs to want something.
  • Have an interesting character who is about to get in an interesting situation.
  • Get your character doing something immediately, and get them talking. 
Both:
  • Pay close attention to how your favorite authors build their scenes.
  • Buy the current Writers Market book.
  • Go to conferences. 

I hope you'll really put some thought into these ideas, because they are GREAT! I definitely will be keeping these things in mind as I keep writing, especially as I get ready for and head into NaNoWriMo 2013!

Waiting for Brandon Mull!

Meeting Brandon Mull, booya! I got bonus points for being an author, and he
declared us "fellow nerds" because I write Fantasy! Saweet! 

The books I bought because I have money now, haha. The Brandon Mull
book I have read, and his newest one!

Yep, got them signed. 

Definitely awesome.

1 comment: