Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Book Review: The Haunting of Derek Stone

Tony Abbott combines the best of the action, suspense, and humor that has made DROON a hit for almost a decade -- and takes it to the next level in this spooky new middle grade series.

Could the road to the afterlife be a two-way street? Derek Stone just turned fourteen. He's lived in the heart of New Orleans with his dad and older brother, Ronny, his whole life. He's a little overweight. He can't hear well out of his left ear. Oh, and he's on the run from the dead. 
Derek never imagined that the dead could be anything but dead. But there's no denying it. They're back -- and they're after him. He just doesn't know why. And he doesn't have long to figure it out.


Last summer I was perusing the library and I stumbled upon this book. I am not one to go for books that might be scary, but I had read most of Tony Abbot's Secrets of Droon series and I absolutely love them. So, when I saw this new series by the same author I jumped at the chance for more. Little did I know what what coming.

The Haunting of Derek Stone: City of the Dead is an incredibly written piece of literature. Though the book is juvenile fiction, I have never been so creeped out by a story in my entire life! Abbot combines great story telling with fantastic detail and imagination to create a story that is frightening enough to make you reconsider everyone around you, and yet so compelling that you can't put it down. This book literally took my breath away and, even though I was feeling rather terrified in my empty house when I finished the book, I was left craving more.

Due to my level of being freaked out I have yet to read the next book in the series, but it is sitting in my room at this very moment, among the other books I hope to read soon. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes a chilling story, likes being scared, and loves juvenile fiction. If you scare easily, you might want to stay away from it, especially if you are considering it for your child. All in all, I give this book a huge five stars for being so brilliant and well put together.

Have you read this book? Do you plan to? I'd love to hear about it!

- Heidi Nicole Bird

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Sounds like something really worth picking up. I might check it out--once my current pile of books to read is done with, that is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, I hope you like it! It only took me about an hour, maybe two to read.

      Delete