Friday, November 22, 2013

NaNoWriMo Spotlight: Serena Akeroyd



Please welcome a fellow wrimo, Serena Akeroyd!

Have you participated in NaNaNoWriMo before? If so, how many years? Have you won? This is your chance to tell us a bit about your Nano experience. Are you new and nervous? Are you wanting to be published, or just playing for fun? Seasoned and ready? Tell us! 

I've participated twice. Once a few years back, when I wasn't really sure if writing was my thing. Safe to say, I didn't win! Then, last year, when I started to take writing seriously, I took part.

It was hard keeping up with the pace, because while I'm a fast writer, having to write some every day to keep within schedule was tough. This NaNoWriMo will be even harder. Last month, I wrote a 58 thousand word novel so, to do another 50k, back to back, is going to be extremely tiring! 

How did you find out about NaNo and why did you decide to do it? What type of story do you plan on writing this year, and what have you done in the past? 

I can't even remember how I discovered NaNo; it was just something I fell into, because I needed to be pushed into writing and putting that over everything else in my life. NaNo gives you an excuse to do just that and it's helpful to know everyone is suffering and that everyone is trying. 

Early this year, I started to write a crime novel but because primarily, I write romance, I gave it up. I'm actually in the throes of a romance series titled Naughty Nookie and I'm publishing a story a month! So, my crime story for NaNo will be written alongside another tale. I'm going to have a headache this November! 

For seasoned participants: what advice would you give? 

Every one approaches things like this in a different manner, you just have to give it your best. The only thing I would say is to pace yourself. I don't agree that you should just write for the sake of writing. Some of it has to make sense otherwise it isn't a story and you're just torturing yourself for nothing. So have an outline and work within the parameters of your story. 

Where are you from and what is your age/age group? 

I'm originally from the UK and I'm 25.

What makes you different? Do you collect My Little Pony figures? Stalk famous people? Secretly raise cats for the lady next door? Be creative. I know there is something unique you can share! 

I have a dog named Trever. 
My pen name is an amalgamation of two old family names. A surname and the Christian name of a great-great aunty! Not sure what she'd have said about that; considering some of my stories can be risqué! 

What is something you’ve learned about writing from your favorite author? 

This sounds horrible, but more than anything, NOT to repeat the dialogue tag 'said'. I said, she said, they said. Yuck! Plus, not to go overkill on adverbs. She said quickly. They said briskly. He said roughly. It grates on the nerves!

Thanks for having me on your blog, Heidi! Good luck with NaNoWriMo!

@SerenaAkeroyd

3 comments:

  1. Here's summore illustrious, ingenious, incisive scenarios
    which'll give you a first-rate, fast-paced, unexpectedly vivid,
    utterly tangible, lethal ‘quid-pro-quo-protagonist' @ warp-speed:
    [whew]

    High, girl!
    While I realize my penname is quite morbid, yet,
    you shall find in our 24 blogs a gobba (subliminal) moxie
    which has taken this mortal sinner yeeeeers to compile:
    I lay it ALL out for you, dear - neet-o, packaged, concise.

    Nevertheless, wouldn’t ya love an endless eternity
    of aplomBombs falling on thy indelible cranium?
    An XtraXcitinXpose with no
    zooillogical-expiration-date,
    with an IQ much higher than K2,
    and an extraordinarily, sawcy, rowdy victory??
    Here’s what the exquisite, prolific GODy sed
    (with an excellent bullshot detector):

    “Faith, hope, and love,
    the greatest of these is love -
    jump into faith...
    and you'll see with love”
    Doesn’t matter if you don’t believe (what I write);
    God believes in you.

    Meet me Upstairs, girl, where the Son never goes down
    from a passionate, prolific iconoclasm where you’ll find
    astronomically prodigious,
    immeasurably extensive,
    monumentally tremendous,
    stupendously substantial,
    infinitely irresistible,
    (XnonillionsXnonillionsXnonillionsXnonillionsX… )
    deluxe-HTTP [<- pi] opportunities for excitement BTW.

    Do it. Do the deed, dude. Sign into the Big House.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a information of un-ambiguity and preserveness of valuable experience on the topic of unpredicted feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This page really has all the information I wanted concerning this subject and didn't know who to ask.

    ReplyDelete